I thought I’d try a somewhat new retopo approach for me. Usually I just retopologize the entire sculpt. This time however, I did it for individual parts of the sculpt, threw a quick UV layout on the new meshes and made some test bakes.
I’m nowhere near texturing him yet (except for the head, which is a solid starting point, I think), but put some flat colors on the shaders. I haven’t really thought about a color scheme yet, so they are very likely to change.
I also tried another new thing for me. Using ZRemesher for more than just retopologizing sculpting geometry. It seemed tempting to me to let ZRemesher handle the folds, and then touch it up a bit in Maya, but I’m not too happy with how some of the geometry came out. This will require some more testing.
After the head retopo was done, I spent a couple hours trying to improve the head. Here’s the result, along with a first rough color pass.
Edit: I also did a quick test bake and hooked it up to the Autodesk Ubershader. The diffuse is basically just the (somewhat improved) ZBrush polypaint with AO and Cavity on top. The Spec map is just hacked together for the sake of testing. Tesselation is turned on.
I did some rigging and animation stuff for a consultation last week. Here’s the result, after the jump. Unity Webplayer is required. Also, sorry for using IFrames here, I don’t really know how to embed a Unity player into a blog post otherwise.
So it’s been a while since I updated this. The good news is, I finally figured out how to use Insert Multi Mesh, when I took a (way too early) break from retopo today. There’s still a couple errors to fix and I get this nagging feeling that I’ve gone a little overboard with the amount of IMMs. Also, the tools in his belt… thing… are placeholders.
And here’s the retopologized head.
Okay, I’m going full retard with Fibermesh now.
Finally found some motivation to work on the face. And I’m starting to add accessories. Still not quite there yet, but I’m trying.
Or steampunk railroad conducter? Damn if I know. I’m contemplating whether to give him a nice hat or not. But I think yes.
After some tip-toeing around the issue, I decided to step away from the more steampunk design for now and concentrate on something a little more realistic.
I’ve put some detail work in the shirt and jacket, and will add a little bit of wear and tear to it still. The pants and boots might change a little, too.
I should also probably come up with a more descriptive name for this.
And just for giggles, there’s some of the, uh, missteps of last week after the break (guess what game I’ve been playing).
I did a first detail pass on some of the clothes, mainly the vest and the short sleeve jacket, or however you want to call it. That one is still in dire need of some TrimDynamic, apparently.
I also haven’t added any fine details yet, like buckles, buttons, zippers and the like, but they’ll come, so bear with me.
I’ve started dressing up the guy I began sculpting. I don’t have a super clear idea yet, as to where to take him, but here’s a couple shots of his fashion evolution.
What I do know is, that I want him to have multiple layers of clothes and that he’s probably not someone you’d run into out on the streets (unless you live in Brooklyn, maybe).
At this point, I’m still just blocking out his clothes and trying to find some interesting shapes and styles to work with, hence the despicably overused symmetry and neglect of TrimDynamic.