Monthly Archives: September 2014

One ugly raptor

So apparently Sketchfab has these weekend contests and I thought I’d give it a try and squeeze a quick sketch in today, but once again miscalculated the whole endeavour. Initially, I didn’t want to go beyond Dynamesh, but after I was done with the base, it just made more sense to do it that way, and once I was there, I felt like halfway decent UVs might be a good idea, so I lost a lot of time for the texture and didn’t manage to get him posed. Sad panda :(

Raptor #3DSM2
by RalfStraube
on Sketchfab

Email this to someoneTweet about this on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on LinkedInPin on PinterestShare on StumbleUponShare on TumblrShare on Reddit

Something from the attic

Today I tried out the Sketchfab exporter for Maya. It’s an old model, that I made long before I had a clue how nerve wrecking bad topology can be for skinning. I hadn’t rigged the character until now, and holy shit, without ngSkinTools, this would have been a nightmare.

The base is borderline embarrassing too, but it’s not really a full blown presentation shot, so I didn’t want to spend too much time on it. I probably should have used panel loops or insert mesh brushes. Well, next time. Until then, no more radial symmetry for you, mister.

ZSphere Demon
by RalfStraube
on Sketchfab

Email this to someoneTweet about this on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on LinkedInPin on PinterestShare on StumbleUponShare on TumblrShare on Reddit


Skirt Rig Test 01


Skirt Rig Test 01 from Ralf Straube on Vimeo.

A while ago, I started working on a (sort of) joint based cloth simulation workflow, for those cases where you would like to have realistic cloth animations but your platform doesn’t support actual cloth simulation.
I used the well known Maya nHair Spline IK trick, with an additional component constraint on the CVs of the splines, so they’d behave like a closed surface. The whole thing works surprisingly well, but it’s not very animator friendly, because nDynamics.
I have a couple ideas for how to work around it, but in the meantime, I figured, I could try to make a more animator friendly Rig that is more lean than the usual FK Ctrl mayhem and can replicate the look of simulated cloth.

This is my first approach. I use Spline IKs to drive the joint chains, every CV ring is attached to a cluster, which is driven by the circular control outside (parent + scale constraints).
The animation is hand-keyed (pretty roughly), but I’m sort of satisfied with it. The problem I ran into however, is that I don’t have control over the silhouette of the skirt segments – that is, I can only drive one segment as a whole, not the individual joint chains.

I think I found a solution for that already, but I’m still dealing with some double transformation issues there, but hopefully I’ll have them figured out soon.

Email this to someoneTweet about this on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on LinkedInPin on PinterestShare on StumbleUponShare on TumblrShare on Reddit